Monday, October 22, 2007

Sunday

I was able to spend a lot of Sunday with my Mom unpacking from her move. When we get together we always have something to laugh at so I will share our story about the bed. Dave and Don did the moving of all of her things. The poor guys were exhausted and left me a few things to do when I got over there Sunday morning. I was hoping that they would leave me some stuff to do. I wasn't able to get over there on Saturday when they did the actual move because Curtis has to work on Saturdays. I'm not being a smarty pants, I'm really glad that they left me some things to do to help out. (They live closer so they help 100% of the time and I only get to help out some. I feel guilty but there isn't much I can do so when I can help out I'm thankful!!)

Now about the bed..... Mom doesn't have very many tools which made putting her extra bed together an adventure. I thought, how hard could it be? It looked really simple so I jumped right in to the task. Mom had to use her broom handle to measure so I could tell where the bed frame had to be in order for the boxspring not to fall right through to the floor. Once we figured that out, it was time to turn the little clamps to tighten the frame. I couldn't twist the little clamp to tighten as much as I wanted and I had visions of a visitor falling through to the floor in the middle of the night. Mom went hunting for some plyers; nope none of those. She suggested scissors but you know how clumsy I am so I had to veto those. As most of you know, Mom used to be a nurse. She happened to have a pair of hemostats left over from her nursing days so we made do with those. I thought I had tightened by hand a lot and would only need the hemostats to do one crank. HA! I believe I was able to turn them around at least three full times. Boy am I glad she had those stupid things. (Dave, when you go to put up her curtains you MIGHT want to bring a pair of plyers and check my work)

Oh - one more funny story and then I will let it be. The a/c wasn't working when I got there. I checked the fuse box (or so I thought) and then checked the controls. Mom had turned it off and on to see if that might be the problem. After I checked the fuse box, I turned the a/c down to 60 to see if that would crank it on. Nothing worked so I told her that I couldnt' work in the heat and we needed to get someone out right away. Ten minutes later, after finding all the info on her apartment complex, I made the call and left the pertinent information. The tech called us back right away and tried to tell us about a reset button. No such button on there; so he started saying he was 2 hours away and would be here in about 2 1/2. I (thank goodness) took the phone back over to the fuse box to ask him about it. Only this time the kitchen light WAS ON. I started to tell him that everything was on and had to say "Uh no actually it isn't." He had me flip them on and of course the a/c started right away. He was very nice and just said that if for some reason it shut off again to call him and he'd come and take a look at it. The moral of the story is: Turn the light on STUPID.

2 comments:

Jeff & Melissa said...

Hey... I love your faithful blogging!! Hope all is well :)

Terry said...

It's all your fault! If I hadn't seen your blog I would have never started it. I have fun and enjoy reading yours and the others. (Although you have been slacking lately; must be all the fun you are having with Joel!) I'm glad you are so happy. You deserve it!


Mommy's Favorites